Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Let Me Eat Cake

You know, I feel we know each other well enough now. We've come to a crucial point in our blog relationship (or blog-lationship) where I feel we can discuss something a little more serious. A little more substantial. A little more significant.

Such as cake.

Seriously, how yummy is cake? Oh, I'll tell you. Really yummy. I only have two requirements to determine a cake's yummy-tude (that is so a word). Those two requirements are:

1. It's not chocolate cake.
2. It has lots of frosting on it (that isn't chocolate).

That's it. Other than that, bring on the cake! The reason why I love cake so much is not entirely dependent upon its relationship with my birthday ('cause we all know how much I love my birthday). I can enjoy a good cake at any given moment. I've been known to just buy a cake at the store for no purpose at all (other than to eat it, of course). I've also bought or made cakes for many important occasions that I felt needed cake to be celebrated properly: The last day of summer, the first day of summer, the first day of school, the last day of school, the second day of school, Christmas, Easter, Fourth of July (and the rest of the major holidays), President's Day. I once even bough a little teeny birthday cake for nobody's birthday, but just because I thought it was so cute.

There are many examples of the Magnificence of Cake's Power. When I was in college, for example, and we were all in our last torturous hours of studying for finals--you know, where you feel like your brain is going to explode if you cram one more bit of information in it--what was my answer to relieve our stress? Make a cake. It actually became quite the tradition with me and my roommates: Finals Cake--the Magical Destresser.

Another example happened tonight. Today I've been watching my friend's three kids while she was helping at Girls' Camp. Six kids can make a pretty big mess in a relatively short period of time. So after dinner, I came up with one of the most ingenious sentences ever uttered by mankind: "I'm going to make a cake and whoever cleans up the most stuff gets two pieces." You should've seen those kids fly. I think they cleaned up four hours' worth of stuff in under two minutes. Again, I am not exercising my use of Blog-perbole when I say that. Cake just has that magically powerful influence over people's lives. Proven fact.

When Mighty M and I got married, I was almost more excited for my wedding cake than the actual wedding (okay, okay, slight case of Blog-perbole there. Slight case.) Oh, but just think of it! What more could you ask for to help you celebrate your wedding day than the temple grounds covered in tulips, an awesome husband at your side, and three whole layers of wedding cake-ity goodness! When I was asked what flavor of wedding cake I wanted, I said, "Party Cake, of course!" Yes, there really is a type of cake called "Party Cake". I got a funny look from Mrs. Cakemaker, and I didn't think she'd really do it, but you can actually hear me say on our wedding video, as we cut into our cake at the reception and I got my first look at the delicious insides, "PARTY CAKE!" It made for the perfect wedding day.

And so, my friends, as we draw to the close of today's posting, I must thank you for once again joining me as I discuss the all-important topics in my life, such as cake. Until next time.

4 comments:

April said...

I love cake. And I too buy cakes at the store or bake them for no reason. As a matter of fact, I am baking one tomorrow. It's a new recipe called oatmeal cake. If it turns out, I will share the recipe with you. Deal?

Kristina said...

And what do we have with cake?!?

Lisa J said...

"MILK!!!!"

Thank you Mighty M, for this awesome quote!

Oh, I so like calling him that.

Becka Thomas said...

Oh Lisa,you know my feeling on cake. Cake would be so much more delicious if it had no frosting and no cake.

I just have to say your family ruined my husband. He actually expects me to make cake for no reason, huh.