Okay, so it seems it's all 1994 flashbacky week for me. I was at the store a few days ago getting some puzzle books for Smarty who had recently informed me that she was missing being in school because she was tired of her brain not working. Oh, honey, just wait until you've had two kids 15 months apart who are two and three years old and are your main conversation partners and you get to the point where you SWEAR that "drinken" is the past-tense of "to drink". THEN let's talk about brains not working. But anyway...
I'm at the store getting some puzzle books so her brain will indeed start working again (Mother Of The Year Award, you are so mine!) and the Rod Stewart song comes on--you know the one--"You're in my mind, you're in my eyes, you're in my heart, you're in my soul..." Okay, I'll admit I don't know the words. I think I might be even more embarrassed if I DID know the words. But that's so not the point. The point is that hearing that song took me back to 1994 and the movie "So I Married An Axe Murderer" where the Scottish dad is all singing it because he loves all the Scottish rockers so much. My good friends Solana (who I met when we were missionaries in Scotland) and Angie (who went to Ireland on her mission) and I watched that movie like 4,000 times that summer and laughed our heads off each time at the Scottish dad parts. Each time. It was that funny to us.
So I'm thinking of the movie and 1994 and I just started chuckling to myself there in the store, getting all nostalgic about the tons of fun things we did that summer. Then I hit my funnybone on the puzzle book shelf (yeah, the same funnybone that is way hyper-sensitive since I bashed it on a chair during a high school State Drama Competition when I was performing "Two Little Girls In Sunday School" with my friend Cindy. That funnybone).
End of nostalgic chuckling.
6 comments:
I'm giggling over your post because I can see you in my head doing your best "So I Married an Axe Murderer" Scottish Dad impression. Your story also reminded me of the time I was in a grocery store in Germany when the theme song from "The Last Unicorn" came on. I would be surprised if anyone else in the world actually knew that song, let alone would think to put it on the play list at the grocery store! In Germany!!
Oh, I've been singing it and doing my best Scottish Dad impression ever since. (You know me so well!)
I think I might have to break out the DVD here one of these nights. I haven't seen it for ages, but I'm sure I'll still be laughing my head off when the dad says, "He'll be cryin' himself to sleep on his huge pilla."
Hee hee! I'm already starting to laugh.
"It's got it's own weather system!"
"Head! Pants! Now!"
Oh, I SOOOO love that movie.
"She was a thief, you gotta belief, she stole my heart and my cat!"
Thanks! Now I HAVE to watch it tomorrow!;)
"She smelled like soup."
"Every Scottish cuisine is based on a dare."
"And Charlie, Light a Match!"
"You were not supposed to come into the room until the note had been written and placed on the table." (or something to that effect)
"Check, please."
"His head is like Sputnik - rather spherical, but quite pointy in parts."
More to come later.
I love that stupid movie. The dad is so funny!
"S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night!"
Post a Comment