I knew the day was coming. It was marked on my calendar in bright red permanent ink. I waited for it with excited anticipation. I even had a special little dance I performed when people asked me about it.
So why, as I walked my baby to her first day of Kindergarten on Wednesday, did I suddenly feel so sad?
I thought about all the fun times Sassy and I had together shopping with just the two of us as we crossed the school parking lot and she announced to me "You don't have to walk me to my class, Mom. I know where it is." "Oh, I am SO walking you to your class." I replied. She wasn't going to leave me that easily.
I thought about Sassy's cute smile and twinkling eyes as we entered her classroom, swimming with little 5 year olds busily acquainting themselves with the wonders held in their new room.
I thought about Sassy's fun sense of humor and the things she constantly says to make me laugh as she found her spot marked with her name and carefully hung up her sparkly new Littlest Pet Shop backpack on the peg.
I thought about Sassy's morning hug routine with me as she whispered to me, "I think my teacher wants me to take a picture with her."
I thought about dancing with her at our Spontaneous 80's Dance Parties held in our kitchen where she shows off her twirling solos that she has perfected over the years as she gave me three hugs and three kisses before I left.
I kept it pretty much together as I came home to an empty house with a big empty obvious Sassy Hole right in the middle of it. (Hey, I said "pretty much" together). I wondered how well I was going to deal with this new stage in my life.
Then I took my first uninterrupted hour-long nap in eleven years.
Yeah, I think I'll be okay.
5 comments:
How can you make tear up and laugh all at the same time!?!
I still have one year to go. I am not looking forward to it. I am sure I will completely lose it. Don't get me started on the week of three year delayed post partum depression when we got her a big girl bed.
I am so glad you are going to be okay! I was worried about you there for a minute.
BTW when you have two to send, it is actually easier not harder.
I have been dealing with my pain by spending most of my time running around the school trying to find someone who can deal with him at least as good as I can(which is not very well I might ad). Now if I can only get Clara into preschool then I can spend more time over there driving the principal and teachers crazy.
Post a Comment