Yesterday afternoon Silly decided he was going to go outside for a bit. He went out the front door and quickly came back in, shouting, "Smarty! Mom! Sassy! You've GOT to come see this!" The girls and I asked him "What is it?" He wouldn't tell us but kept insisting, "There's something REALLY COOL outside! Come see!" We said, "Oh, just tell us." He just repeated, "Come outside! I have to show you something! It's really, really neat!"
Finally his persistance and the excitement got to us and we decided that there must indeed be something in our front yard worth checking out. What could it be? A new car, maybe? A UFO? Grass had suddenly and miraculously appeared in our front yard? Someone had given him a pet horse with a big red bow tied around its neck? Oh, the suspense! So we eagerly walked out the front door and saw....
Two big piles of dirt.
The topsoil had come.
In Silly's mind (and pretty much every other 9 year old boy in the neighborhood's mind) two big piles of dirt is complete and utter Heaven. He spent the whole rest of the day and as much time as possible today playing on the two piles. At one point he came inside COMPLETELY COVERED in dirt, with the hugest grin on his face, and stated, "Mom--look at me, I'm all covered in dirt. Just like a boy's supposed to be." "Yup. You sure are." I agreed.
I'm thinking next year, we're not doing Acting Camp. We're just doing Two Big Piles of Dirt Camp. Seems like that would be a lot easier and just as entertaining to the boys.
3 comments:
When I was a wee girl my dad ug a 12x12 hole in the back yard and put it on the patio. We all spent hours playing in it. He just needs some water and trucks and you won't have to talk to him for the rest of the summer. 2 piles of dirt camp sounds fun, artistic, educational to me.
I love his statement about "that's how a boy's suppose to be". It sounds just like silly. I will have to tell my boys, they will be so jelous.
At least you won't have to spread the topsoil around. It will already be done for you. :)
Post a Comment