Codename: "Super Stash"
The date: October 31. Halloween
The time: Shortly after dinner
The Team: Me, Sassy, Smarty, and Silly
Aliases: Daphne, Princess Buttercup, Nancy Drew, and Indiana Jones
The Place: Our neighborhood
The Mission: To acquire as many Reeses Peanut Butter Cups as possible for me while trick-or-treating.
The night was a beauty. The temperature had been in the high 60s all day, resulting in perfect trick-or-treating weather for the first time in many, many, many years. A gentle breeze was blowing, but thankfully it was warm enough not to require coat usage. We didn't want anything to hinder our most excellent costumes.
Princess Buttercup, Nancy Drew, and Indiana Jones had been carefully instructed and trained in the delicate art of Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Extraction from our friends around the neighborhood. Princess Buttercup showed an exceptionally gifted aptitude for the retrieval, asking with her big blue eyes, sweet smile, and innocent face, "Can I just have one of those for my mom? They're her very favorite." The unsuspecting neighbors had no chance against Princess Buttercup's charming ways. Reeses Peanut Butter Cup after Reeses Peanut Butter Cup was painstakingly scored and neatly tucked away in the pockets of my purple Daphne dress. My pockets bulged delightfully more and more with each Reeses Peanut Buttery goodness I slipped inside, until the last house was trick-or-treated and we head home to revel in our stash.
Mighty M smiled at my ecstatic glee while I emptied my pockets of the night's haul. "22 Reeses Peanut Butter Cups!" I exclaimed. "Count them! 22! I'm ruling the world with my Reeses Peanut Butter Cups! It took a lot to get these, but every last bit of sacrifice was worth it."
As I walked to the bedroom to change out of my Daphne disguise, chuckling at the success of our mission, out of the corner of my eye I spied something on the couch. An empty orange bag, with the familiar words "Reeses Peanut Butter Cup" scrawled across it.
"What's this?" I asked Mighty M, showing him the bag.
"Oh, didn't I tell you?" he replied, "I got Reeses Peanut Butter Cups to hand out this year."
I sighed. Sometimes it turns out that the things that are the most important are right there in your home the entire time.
1 comment:
That's great! I always wish I had the nerve to ask for candy, but I never do. Having your kids do it for you is CLASSIC!!!
Post a Comment