Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Will Conquer

I'll admit it. I'm not really big on playing computer games. I go through phases where I'll play them every so often for a few days but quickly grow tired of them and move on to the next thing. I'd actually given up even playing any on our old 800 year old computer because, being 800 years old as it was, the only games on it centered around Genghis Khan and the Crusades.

So messing around on this new computer, I discovered a few favorites and have been playing them here and there the past couple of days. I haven't had much time to really become addicted but at night I've played a game or two just to help my brain unwind from the day's flurry of activities. Tonight the game of choice was Solitaire. Big mistake.

Seriously. It's such a simple game, really. But I have discovered that on this computer at least, there is no way to win it. I sat and played close to 20 games one right after another without winning. Or even coming close. Okay, that makes it sound like I've been on the computer for hours tonight. Oh, no. Each game took like maybe an average of 30 seconds for me to lose. Most games were lost within the first few turns of the cards. Every once in a while, it would seem like the computer was starting to feel sorry for me and give me an easy game, trying to lure me into a false sense of security and hope as if there was a small chance that this time--this time--I was going to win. Only to have those hopes dashed a few card turns later as "End of Game" abruptly popped up on the screen. I could almost hear the computer gleefully chuckling an evil laugh to itself, celebrating its merriment over my torture.

So my dilemma now is--do I give it up as hopeless or do I use this as a learning experience and play until I win? Ummmmmm....I'm choosing learning experience. I'm off to totally kick some Solitaire be-hind. Computer--say your prayers. It is so on. But thanks again for letting me print things in cute fonts and post photos!


Solitaire Update: It's the next morning and Solitaire is now on my list of the Bottom 10 Things That I'd Ever Want To Do (please see list on sidebar).

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Sounds a lot like the advanced level on minesweeper. I played that for hours just so I could finish it once. And now that I've done it I never have to play it again. :)

Have you tried Spider Solitaire? That one's pretty fun and on the easy setting it really is easy to win. Oh, and if David's around he can put all of the old Nintendo games on your computer. Lemmings and Super Mario Bros. entertained me for many a night in college.