Thursday, September 18, 2008

"I Loved It. It Was Much Better Than 'Cats.' I Want To See It...." --Oh wait. It was "Cats."

Yesterday was Smarty's birthday so I took her to see "Cats" because I thought she'd really like it. Which it turns out I was right--she LOVED it. Now I am well aware that "Cats" is not the most plot-driven, character-challenging, thought-provoking musical ever to grace the stage. What it is, however, is just a whole lot of fun.

From the overture where the cats slinked up and down the in aisles in the audience (Smarty got to see the cute white cat close-up as she looked all catty in Smarty's face, to Smarty's delight), to Rum Tum Tugger's disobliging ways (Smarty's fav), to Bustopher Jones' well-cut trousers, to Mungojerry AAAAAND Rumpleteaser's amazing joint triple cartwheel, to Skimbleshanks' disapproval of hilarity and riot on the night train (my fav), to Mr. Mistofelees' vague and aloof cleverness (not to mention his highly graceful antics), to Grizabella the Glamor Cat's belting out the beautiful "Memory", to Old Deuteronomy's wise words of sound advice ("So first your memory I'll jog and say a cat is not a dog")--Smarty and I loved every moment of it.

I'd seen "Cats" the year before I got married and know all the words to all the songs and I found myself constantly smiling at the singing, dancing, and playfulness of the cats. It almost made me want to give into my kids' incessant begging for some pet cats--just so I could sneak up on the cats at night and have them entertain me by their singing and dancing when they thought no one was watching.

No, kids, I said
it almost made me want to.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I took my Emily to see Cats at Tuacahn two years ago. She absolutely loves Cats. She was Jemima for Halloween that previous year. SHe wore her costume and got to sit with Old Deuteronomy's lap! I have a few pics on my second blog post...check them out! She was so cute!

"...When the family appears for their Sunday dinner, their minds made up that they won't get thinner on Argentine Joint, potatoes and greens,Then the cook will appear from behind the scenes, and say in a voice that is broken with sorrow, "I'm afraid you must wait and have dinner tomorrow the joint has gone from the oven like that!" and the family will say, "It's that 'orrible cat!"
Te he he! :)