Sunday, May 31, 2009

#9 Countdown To The UK

#9 Scottish accents

I'm so excited to hear the Scottish accents again and yes, that IS English they're speaking, I promise.

My first day in Scotland, we went to the bank to set up my bank account and the lady rattled off something in Scottish. I remember just staring at her and holding out my money to her and saying "Take whatever you need. I don't quite know what you're saying." After a few weeks of living there, it gets a lot easier to understand the accent, but even after living there for a year and 1/2, there were still some people I couldn't understand on the phone!

I also find it really funny when I watch travel shows about Scotland and they have the Scottish people talk really slowly. I've even seen subtitles for them, too, which made me really laugh.

No comments: