Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My Intellectual Goals

Okay. I think the Great and Nasty Cold of 2009 has left our house. We all got it except for Smarty. I really don't know how it escaped her, but I'm happy it did. We were all pretty miserable from it.

But never mind. On with the goods.

So I thought I'd update you all on my Goals To Increase Intelligence (or whatever I called them. I'm way too lazy to look up their official title). You know, the ones I wrote a bit ago because I wasn't feeling like I've used my vast intelligence lately and wanted to get the old brain running again? Yeah, those ones. Here is an update:

1. Irish dancing DVD: Haven't worked on it. I haven't been exercising lately due to the Great and Nasty Cold wreaking havoc on our house. Also I've been busy. But I'm going to start doing it soon! Really! I did go skiing. Does that count? Okay, thanks. I thought it did.

2. The Intimidating Piano Piece: Haven't worked on it. But I'm teaching piano lessons to three neighbor kids and my three kids. Does that count? Okay, thanks. I thought it did.

3. Laundry sorting: Sorted. And washed. And sorted. And washed. And sorted. And washed. And sorted. And washed....

4. Motor Storm: Dude, I totally got 11th place out of 12. Goal completed! I totally RAWK!

5. Shakespeare Reading: Every few days I gather around the kiddies and the hubby and we have been reading "Midsummer's Night Dream" an Act or Scene at a time. We all have our assigned parts and have been having a lot of fun. Most nights. Some highlights have been:
**Sassy as Titania with her 5 year old over-dramatic gestures and diva-Queen-of-the-Fairies-acting. Perfect for the part.
**Daddy being Bottom. When we were assigning parts, I said "Daddy would make a good Bottom." Which, as you can imagine, set my three kids into hysterical laughter. And I have to admit--I got a good chuckle out of it. I'm not above a little harmless potty humor.
**Smarty as Hermia and Silly as Lysander confessing their deep, dying devotion to each other Shakespearingly. Isn't that every 10 and 11 year old brother and sister's greatest dream--to read mushy lovey-dovey words to each other?
**Seeing my kids begin to enjoy and understand Shakespeare. They don't understand all of it yet, but really, who does?
Our next play: Taming of the Shrew. Fun stuff!

6. The Throw Quilt, which I have (rather unaffectionately named "The Never-Ending Quilt That Never Ends"): I'm working on it. And working on it. And working on it. And working on it. My word, quilt! Will you just be done? Well, it'll be cute when it's finished anyway. And at least I'm working on it now. And working on it. And working on it. And working on it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suggestion: Send the quilt to Kris and have her machine quilt it and send it back to you. :) Of course, then you wouldn't have the JOY of doing it yourself.

Anthony LeRoy Lovato said...

Love the goals. I need to make a list on my blog as well. That's cool that you teach lessons. My 9 year old is taking lessons. One of my goals is to teach myself piano. I'm using the same books as my son, so I figure I should learn as quickly as he does, right?